POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to make an existing object transparent? : Re: How to make an existing object transparent? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to make an existing object transparent?
From: Bob H
Date: 1 Jul 2001 02:50:30
Message: <3b3ec836$1@news.povray.org>
"John D. Gwinner" <jgw### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

>   I'm trying to use the existing wood textures to build a mock up of an
> object.  I want to 'fade' the outside plywood by setting it partially
> transparent via animation to show the internal wood structure.  I know I
can
> do this by playing with the pigments and all, but how can I do it without
> changing the library textures (pigments / etc)?

My first reply was totally off, or almost totally.  I checked it out.  Just
so you know what I suggested: I thought perhaps adding pigment {filter 1}
into the wood texture itself might make a semitransparency.  It does, but it
overrides the whole texture without any other previous pigments showing up
if the wood is single layered.  If multilayered, as most the predefined
included woods are then it just affects the outermost layer I guess.
Anyhow... the solution is probably to use:

#declare T1=1-clock;
#declare T2=clock;

texture {
 average